Kid Crafts: Beading For Beginners Part II: The Back And Forth
By Marcel Vigh
Hopefully, you've read the first part of the Beading for Beginners and you know what type of beads
and wire or nylon fishing line to use for different animals. You will learn here how to make the body of the bead animals.
The main animal beading technique is the 'Back and Forth' technique. It's hard to believe that this is the main
technique, because it is so simple. Okay, everything is slower and a small bit more difficulty if you want to do it nicely. However, after you
have tried and made it a few times it will be just child's play. Use this technique to make the body of the bead animals (and sometimes the tail
of the animals). After you've finished the first row, make the second row by doing the same thing again. In this way, make the rest of the
animal's body. Let's get started!
- String the beads (usually one, two or three depending on what you are making) on either side of the wire.
If you're beginning a new bead animal string the bead(s) on the center of the wire.
- Now, loop back with the opposite wire through the beads. If you're making the first row, then
thread one wire around and through the first bead(s)
- Pull it very tightly. If it is not in the right place (not exactly beside the row before), then
bend it until it looks even and lovely.
Now, here is an important point:
if you are making an animal that should be flat, then push the rows beside each other (and use wire). However, if your
animal supposed to be round (3D), pull each row very tightly to make them overlap. If it doesn't help, then simply put
the rows right opposite of each other. After that, if you look at your animal from side, then the rows should look
One more thing: do not forget the eyes or any patterns of the animal, use different colors for
If you don't understand something click here for additional help with pictures
for each steps.
The next part will explain how to make your animal more lifelike with legs.
Kid Crafts - Beading For Beginners Part III - Leg Making
An Important Tip:
when you're making a leg: hold the leg as near as you can to the body when you pull it tightly.
Simple straight leg
This is the most simple technique to make legs.
- String the leg beads on one side of the wire.
- Loop back with the same wire through the leg leaving out the last bead. Try to avoid kinks on the
- Hold the leg to the body as near as you can. Pull it very tightly. Do the same on the other
Leg with foot
It is also a very simple type of leg.
- String the beads on either wire. For the foot use a different colour.
- Loop back with the same wire through the leg leaving out the foot.
- Pull it very tightly. If the wire begins to kink put it straight. Now, do exactly the same on the other
Leg with foot and toes
This type of leg is a bit more complicated than the others. However, after you've understood and made it, it'll be just a routine job.
- String the leg beads (usually 3) and the beads of one toe on either side of the wire.
- Loop back through the remaining of the toe beads leaving out the last bead. Hold the toe near to the leg
and pull it tightly.
- Now, you've finished the first toe. String the beads of the second toe on the same wire.
- Loop back through the toe beads leaving out the first bead as before.
- Hold the toe near to the leg and pull it tightly.
- Do exactly the same with all toes. When you've made all of the toes, loop back through the whole
- Pull it tightly. Do exactly the same on the other side.
There are many ways to make a leg for the animals:
- Simple straight leg
- Leg with foot
- Leg with foot and toes
Unfortunately, I can't put pictures here, so if you want to see illustrated step by step guideline
please click here!
Return from Kid Crafts: Beading for Beginners Part II -
III to Beads Basic Home